Sunday, May 29, 2011

Patrotic Holidays


Hi Folks -
Since this is Memorial Day week-end, I have sort of been thinking about summer's patriotic holidays. And growing up in Utah, we had an additional one which was July 24, celebrating the arrival of the Mormon pioneers in the Salt Lake Valley. It was a great occasion to use up all the sparklers left from Independence Day!

I find it sad, though, how few people actually celebrate Memorial Day for the purpose it was created. I remember going with both my parents and grandparents to "clean-up" cemeteries where ancestors are buried, removing wind-blown trash and sun-faded plastic flowers. I even recall my grandmother calling it "Decoration Day" which really harkens back to its origins of honoring those who died in our country's wars. My father served in the Korean War, his father served in World War I, my husband's father served in World War II, and other relatives served in other wars. The earliest military service to our country I can document was Robert Dunning who served as a soldier of fortune from 1675 frontier Pennsylvania in King Philip's War in New England. To them, and all others who serve and served, the most appropriate thing I can say is "thank-you."

Thinking of ewe -
The Shepherd

1 comment:

  1. Very nice tribute, and enjoyed the family history.

    ReplyDelete